Have you ever sampled perfume in a shop or spritzed on your favourite eau de toilette and felt yourself instantly transported? You aren’t imagining things. While it may seem like a kind of incredible witchcraft, real science has confirmed that the benefits of using fragrance are legitimate. In actual fact, numerous studies have shown that various scents interact with our body’s limbic system and sensory receptors to trigger more powerful reactions and emotions. In other words, there’s a compelling case to be made for loving perfume, and we couldn’t be happier to hear it. So, let’s take a closer look at some of the benefits, shall we?
Five Reasons to Reach For Fragrance
● Reason #1: Inspire a new mood For an instant boost, certain scents can do a lot to enhance your everyday experience. Perfume, in particular, is wonderful for this because when you apply fragrance on your person, your body’s systems will respond very quickly. Studies have shown that certain scents can even be helpful for lowering stress levels, calming the mind, and even influencing our behaviour.
● Reason #2: Shift the energy of your space If you typically enjoy your fragrance in perfume form, another perfect way to partake is by adding pleasant aromas to your ambiance with a scented candle or diffuser. You can think of scent as another element of home decor to be experienced by all who enter. You might even consider different scents for different rooms. For example, choose something bright and lively for spaces where you entertain, and then something more on the soothing end of the spectrum for your bedroom.
● Reason #3: Make a statement without saying anything Similar to how you might use fragrance to communicate a sense of style in your home, perfume also makes for an important fashion accessory. You can use various scents to tell a story and really pull together a look, or choose a signature scent that goes with any outfit. As a bonus, science also says that smelling good can increase your self confidence. And who couldn’t use just a little more of that?
● Reason #4: Enchant your perfect paramour It’s true what they say. Scent is a powerful aphrodisiac. Experts say fragrance has a robust effect on desire because it contains pheromones, which are responsible for attracting potential romantic partners. Other studies suggest that scent can even alter and enhance others’ perceptions of you, including your age and physical allure.
● Reason #5: Evoke magical memories One last reason to love fragrance (and perhaps one of the coolest) is that it can also be a powerful link to memory. Certain scents that remind us of specific places, people, or moments in time are stored in the brain and can be unlocked instantly when you recognise a familiar aroma. For a practical way to put this to use, consider designating a certain perfume for special occasions only. It’s a great way to ensure that you’ll always hold onto the memories.
References: “7 Benefits of Fragrance” By The Fragrance Conservatory https://fragranceconservatory.com/benefits-of-fragrance